okay, so most of the snow on the street has melted, but it’s still 4�C out there. so right now you can find me indoors, making
a stash-reducing garter-stich shawl. (and looking more and more like a forlorn old homeless lady all the time, consequently.)
which began as carbonnades flamandes, but just onions and beef seemed too boring, so it became an irish stew of sorts. after i browned the meat and got the onions all melty and sweated the carrots and potatoes, i upended a big ol’ bottle of stella and whatever leftover stock i had hanging out in the fridge, stuck a bay leaf in it and called it a day. except that, an hour and a half later, it wasn’t getting any thicker, so i ended up making my first successful roux (directly after my tenth unsuccessful burnt, lumpy roux) and got it to a nice deep brown, even. i discovered that pentole and am discovering the merits of letting a little browned crust of rice form at the bottom of the pot (on purpose). what does this taste like — rice krispies? barley tea? think i’ve read somewhere that there’s a specific name for this crusty rice in chinese. i remember linda telling me it’s especially good fried in butter. (but then again, what isn’t?) i just like to sprinkle some maldon’s on it and eat it with my fingers.
this stew on rice thing was a fixture of my childhood. but mom always used cornstarch to thicken hers.
my latest mix:
decemberizing. december, rising.
1. xiu xiu – ceremony
2. the rosebuds – blue bird
3. jens lekman – black cab
4. metric – police and the private
5. the books – smells like content
6. gravenhurst – bluebeard
7. kathleen edwards – summerlong
8. the deadly snakes – gore veil
9. spinto band – oh mandy
10. babyshambles – fuck forever
11. okkervil river – song of our so-called friend
12. black belt – only one
13. happy bullets – the vice and virtue ministry
14. rogue wave – love’s lost guarantee
15. kings of convenience – i’d rather dance with you
16. of montreal – nickee coco and the invisible tree